According to The Sentencing Project, African Americans are more than five times more likely than whites to be imprisoned. However, here in Wisconsin, that ratio is doubled (10:1). From education to health care to criminal justice – bold reforms must be made.
The fact that Wisconsin spends more on Corrections than the entire UW System speaks volumes about our priorities as a state.
There are a number of policies that we as a state must change.
As Governor, Tony will support:
- Ending crimeless revocations
- Banning the box
- Eliminating mandatory minimums
- Ending the use of solitary confinement (especially with juveniles)
- Investing in drug courts, Treatment and Diversion (TAD) programs and restorative justice strategies
- Increasing transparency, accountability and communication within policing
- Fixing our broken parole and supervision system which only contributes to our high incarceration levels while also keeping families apart
- Increasing access to affordable housing, employment with good wages, and other needed support for a successful re-entry for those who have completed their sentence